Here at Snoozel HQ one of our founding principles is what impact the production of our products will have on the environment. Like most people, we will take the occasional long haul flight and leave the tap running whilst we brush our teeth but we do recycle and try and buy as ethically as possible. Which is why GOTS is probably one of the best certifications for the sustainably conscious. Also, it’s probably one of the best certifications you have never heard of.
What is GOTS?
GOTS stands for The Global Organic Textile Standard and is recognised throughout the world as the gold standard certification for textiles made from organic fibres. The difference between GOTS and other organic cotton certifications is that it doesn’t just pertain to the end product i.e. the cotton but the whole supply chain and infrastructure that goes into its production. These means that GOTS certified products meet high consumer social responsibility criteria such as working conditions, health and safety and pay for the workers in the supply chain.
The GOTS ensures that: “A production system that sustains the health of soils, ecosystems and people. Relying on ecological processes, biodiversity and cycles adapted to local conditions, rather than the use of inputs with adverse effects, ' it 'combines tradition, innovation and science to benefit the shared environment. Furthermore, it promotes fair relationships and good quality of life for all involved.” '(Life Cycle Assessment for Organic Cotton, 2016).
4 reasons organic cotton is the best way to grow?
- No Genetic Modifications: Because we use GOTS certified organic cotton in our mattresses no GMO seeds will be used in the production of Snoozel Green fabrics. The use of GMO products is back in the news and there are debates for and against their use but we believe the natural way is the best way.
- It saves water: Various studies all agree that organic cotton farming uses less water than the alternative, none ethical and mass-produced conventional method of farming. In fact, organic farming can use between 30% and 91% less water, which is predominantly down to the improved retention of water in the soil. Water is a very important resource in cotton-producing countries so anything that can help support the sustainable use of it is just fine with us.
- It produces less Co2: That’s right, our mattresses emit less gas into the environment. When cotton is grown organically the volume of Co2 emissions pumped into the air is 46% less than conventional farming methods. Why? Organic cotton is generally produced in small batches by farmers who harvest manually without the use of chemicals. The lack of industrial, mechanised farm machinery in the production of our cotton reduces the carbon footprint of the Snoozel Green mattress.
- Our dirt is cleaner: Because we don’t believe in the use of any chemical nasties in our cotton, the soil it is grown in doesn’t get contaminated. This doesn’t just help protect you but it also the local water and the environment for the birds, bees, flowers and trees.
So, is organic cotton good for everyone?
After some heavy-duty number crunching, report reading and extensive investigation we can confirm the answer is unequivocal...Yes!’.
You see, you get to sleep on a mattress knowing that no harmful chemicals have been used in the production of the fabrics. The environment the materials have been produced in remains unaffected and the farmers have been treated and paid fairly. In fact, we think the farmers are the big winners in the production of organic cotton for these three very good reasons:
- Better food security: By intercropping (planting different crops between the cotton) farmers can access and enjoy fresh, organic food themselves.
- Financial stability: Farmers can command a higher price for their organic cotton because it doesn’t use chemicals, they also don’t need to buy expensive, harmful nasties or GMO seeds. Farmers can also develop a further revenue stream through intercropping and are less reliant on one harvest.
- Improved health: Because the farmers are not using harmful chemicals and pesticide sprays used in conventional cotton farming methods the outcomes for them and their families is substantially improved.
So, what is in Snoozel Green GOTS certified fabrics?
The GOTS certification comprises two textile classifications; “MADE WITH ORGANIC”, which must contain a minimum of 70% certified organic fibres; or,“ORGANIC”, which means the fabric must comprise of 95% certified organic fibres. We have decided to only use higher standard GOTS ORGANIC certified material to ensure the best quality product and means that we can all get a good night's sleep.
Find out more about the Snoozel Green Mattress here.